Spot Removal Steps
1. Act Quickly! Most carpets purchased today have already been treated with a stain-resistant treatment so that damaging spots or spills can be removed if immediate action is taken. The longer the delay, the higher the likelihood of a spot or spill becoming a permanent stain on your floors. Remember, that staining can be influenced by many factors, and no carpet is completely stain proof.
2. Blot liquids with an absorbent, white, dry cloth or white paper towels that does not include any printing.
3. Do not scrub the area! Scrubbing the affected area may cause pile distortion to the location. Keep using paper towels or a dry cloth until the area is completely dry. To clean up semi-solid spills, gently scrape up what you can with a rounded spoon to break it up and then vacuum the area until completely removed. If the spot can be identified, locate the substance in the spot removal computer and follow the directions carefully.
4. Pretest any spot removal agent in an inconspicuous area to be certain that the solution will not damage the carpet fiber or the dye. After applying several drops to the testing area, hold down a dry, white cloth onto the wet area for several seconds. Then examine the carpet and cloth for any color change, color transfer, or damage to the carpet. If you notice that a change does occur, then immediately choose another cleaning solution.
5. Apply a small amount of the selected cleaning solution to a dry, white cloth and gently work it in.
6. Work from the edges of the spill to the center. This helps to prevent the spill from spreading. Do not scrub the area! Blot to absorb as much of the stain as possible, and repeat if necessary.
7. Continue using the first cleaning solution as long as there is a transfer of the spill to the cloth. It is not necessary to use all of the cleaning solutions if the first solution successfully removes the spill.
8. Be patient! Completely removing the spill may require repeating the same step several times. Do not continue to step 9 until the stain has been completely removed.
9. Rinse the affected area thoroughly with cold water, and blot with a dry cloth until all of the solution has been removed. Some cleaning solutions will cause rapid soiling if the solution is not completely removed since the dirt attracts and sticks to the residue.
10. Apply a one-half inch layer of white paper towels to the affected area, and weigh down with a flat, heavy object to soak up the excess water. Continue to change the paper towels as needed. A dry, absorbent, cleaning compound may be used as a substitute to accelerate drying time.
Arm your home with Chem-Dry World Famous® Spot Remover for Water-Based Spills and World Famous® Grease & Oil Remover for oil-based spots. Call Premier Chem-Dry today at (877) 577-1877 to order with your next carpet cleaning.
For more detailed information on a specific spot or spill, please call Premier Chem-Dry to see how we can help. Many fiber manufacturers also provide toll-free cleaning assistance and advice.